Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lent: My 7:00 AM Wake-up Call

Upon very brief discussion with my partner Laura, I decided to give up sleeping in for lent. That's right, my alarm will now be permanently set to 7:00 AM for the next 40 days. I wouldn't call myself a devout Christian, but the practice of lent seems like a great opportunity for self reflection and a chance to make a pledge to yourself to do better about something. For me it will be making the most of my days. On some of my days off I have a bad habit of sleeping in until 10:00 or even 11:00, pouring myself some coffee, and getting lost in a movie into the afternoon. While these days are at times very rewarding because they come after long days of physical and mental exercise, they still make me feel like I lost time I could have spent better.

I'll need to adjust my daily habits a little to accommodate for this change. While I can go on very little or no sleep if needed for an alpine climb or early morning rally to a climbing destination, I typically need 8 hours of sleep to feel good in the morning. So no more late night movies, social gatherings, or gear shake downs. I can see this small change leading to greater changes in my life, including more time to train, write, read, etc. I'm truly hoping it will have a far reaching ripple effect for me.

So, what are YOU giving up for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment