Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Nose


This beautiful granite in Western North Carolina's Pisgah Forest is called The Looking Glass. It was formed as a large igneous intrusion under layers of weaker rock that eroded away to expose this monolith.


The Nose is the classic moderate route on the large face central in the photo above, left of the creeping vegetation from the summit. We started up this route early, about 7:30am before anyone else had even arrived at the parking lot. It was a good idea too, not only to snag first in line, but the temperature reached 90 degrees and staying out of the sun for the first half of the day was crucial.

The start of the route got me back into placing gear and trusting my feet on slab. My two month hiatus from climbing has really taken a toll on my psyche. But up in pitch 3 I really started to regain my confidence and execute moves deliberately. Liz had a great time following me and did an excellent job lead belaying. Congrats on her first multi pitch route!



The Blue Ridge Mountains in the background of this photo made an excellent backdrop to this four pitch climb. We topped out around noon and took in the view, along with some water and cliff bars. We simultaneously rappelled on double ropes, passing stations and getting down in half the time. We made it back to the car at 2:00pm for peanut butter sandwiches.

As you can see by the smile on my face, it was an excellent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment